Saturday, January 27, 2018

Life in the Middle Ages

I've been posting on this blog for close to four years and have nearly 300 posts.  So I've decided there's enough here for a book!  It's just been released, and the title is Positively Medieval.

The book is organized topically, society, food, love and marriage, children, and so on.  It's not a textbook that focuses on political events, but there is at least some politics in there.  After all, the Anglo-Norman kings have been one of my readers' favorite blog posts.  (Farm animals are still far and away the favorite.)  But it has much more on how people lived, what they ate, and what they believed than on who won which battle.

I have a feeling that many of the people who end up at my blog are students doing projects for The Medieval Unit. This is fine--for one thing, it means they're getting more accurate information than they would in a lot of places.  Hope they'd be interested in a book even after the class moves on to The Reformation Unit or The French Revolution Unit.

I've included a lot of my photos.  Almost all the pictures you've been seeing are mine, if they are a photograph of a place.  The picture below, which I'm using as the cover, is of Fleckenstein castle, on the French-German border.  The stairs are cut right into the bedrock, and part of the castle is also cut into the rock.



If you've been reading this blog for a while, are there topics you'd definitely want to see included?  Or is there something about the Middle Ages that you've been waiting eagerly for me to cover, but I strangely have not?  If so, let me know!  Easiest is probably to comment at the bottom of this page.

The book will eventually be available both as an ebook and a print book--so far it's just an ebook.  The ebook has color pictures if you read it on a tablet or computer, the print probably just black and white (color is a lot more expensive in print).  Hope some of my faithful readers will be interested in buying it!  I won't be shutting down my blog, so people who decide to google "medieval farm animals" will still end up right here, but it will be more convenient to have everything together.  (I know, sometimes I'll discuss a topic, then weeks or months later I'll get back to it and add a little more.)

Here's the link to the book on Amazon; it's also available on other ebook platforms.

© C. Dale Brittain 2018

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! I have read all (well if I am completely honest, most) of your posts. It has been a fascinating experience poking through the archive in search of something that strikes my fancy at the moment. And, I have rarely failed to find a topic of interest. I amjust sorry that we do not live close enough to your institution for me to have taken a couple of your courses. Keep up the great work.

    PS how about a sequel, or series of short stories, to Count Scar. I have yet to differentiate between your and your spouse's writing.🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you've been enjoying the blog! And yes, we're actually working on a Count Scar sequel. Our plan is to have it out sometime this year. I'll announce it on the blog (and the website, and via mailing list, and via Twitter, and...)

      Delete